Join us in celebrating play therapy this week!
Why do we lose control of our emotions?
Check out this short video that helps to explain what is going on in our brain when we experience strong emotions and why its hard to manage those emotions sometimes. Kids Want to Know does a fantastic job of incorporating the hand model of the brain to make these concepts easy for children to learn and understand.
Trauma and Play Therapy: Holding Hard Stories
A TED Talk presentation by Paris Goodyear-Brown, MSSW, LCSW, RPTS
If you’re interested in knowing more about play therapy and it’s effectiveness in treating trauma, please check out this TED Talk by Paris Goodyear-Brown. Ms. Goodyear-Brown will be joining Brighter Futures Counseling, PLLC in September presenting her training TraumaPlay: A Flexibly Sequential Play Therapy Model for Treating Trauma and Attachment Disturbances. Register now to join us for this fantastic opportunity.
APRIL IS — Child Abuse Prevention Month and Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Brighter Futures Counseling has scheduled events throughout the month to help commemorate.
HELP US ADVOCATE! GET INVOLVED! JOIN THE FUN!
All Month Long: “PLANT A PINWHEEL”
Tuesday April 2nd: “WEAR TEAL DAY”
Friday April 5th: “WEAR BLUE DAY”
Wednesday April 10th: “CHALK THE WALK”
Thursday April 11th: “ROCK ON WITH ENCOURAGEMENT”
Thursday April 18th: “SELF CARE LUNCHEON”
Wednesday April 24th: “DENIM DAY”
As you join us for these events feel free to post your pictures using the following hashtags:
#BFCCAPM2019 #BFCSAAM2019 #COMMITTOPREVENT #CAPM2019 #SAAM2019
National Play Therapy Week
Happy National Play Therapy week. Join us February 3rd through the 9th to celebrate. Our office has a lot of great things going on this week and we would love for you to be a part of it.
- If you are in the office this week, take a minute to guess how many miniatures are in the jar at the front desk. The person with the closest guess will win a $25.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble at the end of the week.
- Can you find the hidden Play Therapy Horse in your therapist’s office? There will be one winner per day per therapist. All winners will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble.
- You can also Like us on Facebook and follow our online Play Therapy posts this week. @BrighterFuturesCounseling
- Keep a look out, we will be around town with the Play Therapy “Dude” be the first person who guesses where the “Dude” is each day and you will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble.
- Tell us what you love about Play Therapy or How you incorporate Play into your life and get entered into a drawing for a $25.00 Barnes and Noble gift card.
- Check out what our therapist have to say about why we love Play Therapy, and share great information about the benefits of Play!
Family Media Use
With the access to media literally at our fingertips, often parents wonder about the right amount of time for a child to have access to screens. Different sources have different opinions about this, and the American Academy of Pediatrics has developed a few tools to assist families in figuring out the balance based on each family’s personal lifestyle and values.
Check out this link to access the Family Media Use Plan as well as the Media Time Calculator. These tools allow you to create personalized plans not only for your family but also for individual children, based on their separate needs.
Below is an example of how your child’s media plan may look.
5 Mindful Tips for Navigating Holiday Stress
Although many of us look forward to the Holiday season there are many aspects that can become quite stressful. Check out these tips from Jennifer Wolkin at Mindful.org on how to better deal with Holiday stressors.
5 Myths About Young Children and Screen Media
In a world full of screens, media, and other related content it can be difficult to know the do’s and don’ts related to young children. Check out this parenting resource from Zero to Three which lists and debunks five common misconceptions related to young children and the impact of screen use.
Click here for more information
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Check out what the National Association for Mental Illness (NAMI) has to say about Mental Health Month, and find additional resources.
Also, May 10th is Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day: “Partnering for Health and Hope Following Trauma”. Follow the link to find out more about this event.
Now Hiring: Office Support