September 24th, 2021
Eliana Gil, PhD, ATR, RPT-S, LMFT, is a Founding Partner of Gil Institute for Trauma Recovery & Education, LLC, a group private practice in Fairfax, Va, where she currently works as a Senior Clinical and Research Consultant. She is an Approved MFT Supervisor as well as a Registered Play Therapist/Supervisor and a Registered Art Therapist. She is also a Circle of Security Certified Parent Educator, a Level II Theraplay provider, and participated and completed a two-year Individual Certification process with Dr. Bruce Perry. Dr. Gil is also Director of Starbright Training Institute for
Child and Family Play Therapy where she and Gil Institute colleagues provide specialized trainings on an array of topics involving trauma, attachment, and treatment options, with an integration of expressive therapies (art, sand, play). In the last two decades, Eliana has directed two child sexual abuse treatment programs in Northern Virginia and continues her work in the field of child abuse prevention and treatment. She is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who received her doctorate in family therapy from the California Graduate School of Family Psychology in San Rafael, California. She has served on the Board of Directors of the American Professional Society on the Abused of Children and the National Resource Center on Child Sexual Abuse. She is also a former President of the Association for Play Therapy and received APT’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011.
Dr. Gil has written numerous chapters, journal articles, and books on child abuse and related topics and has participated in educational videotapes that feature her work through Guilford Press, as well as a self-published DVD on Family Play Therapy. Her most recent books include Post-Traumatic Play: What Clinicians Should Know and the second edition of Play in Family Therapy. She also co-authored a book with Dr. David Crenshaw on Termination Challenges in Psychotherapy. Her classic book Outgrowing the Pain, has been translated into many languages. Dr. Gil is a well-known international lecturer, author, and clinician. She is bilingual and bicultural with Ecuadorian parents. Since 2014, she has been semi-retired and continues to supervise, consult and teach. Dr. Gil conducts specialized, unique trainings in Fairfax, VA and provides trainings across the country on a regular basis, although greatly reduced from previous years. She also sponsors the Mid-Atlantic Play Therapy Institute in Northern Virginia on an annual basis.
Eliana has dreamed of being a grandmother since she was a young child and cherished her relationship to her own grandmothers, Emilia and Teresa. She now has four grandchildren under the age of 12 and looks forward to being closer to them geographically and continuing to be a part of their lives. She loves watching her children as they have grown into loving, smart, patient, and creative parents.
This attachment-based workshop will prepare play therapists and other mental health professionals to understand how (and why) to use an integrated approach when working with family systems who lack a strong relational foundation. The presenter will highlight diverse play therapy approaches that prepare mental health professionals to offer responsible expressive activities designed either for assessment or treatment. Dr. Gil will encourage participants to think about ways that play therapy and other expressive approaches, such as drama, art, symbol work, puppet play, and other techniques can can overcome client hesitancy and promote specific attachment-based goals. Participants will engage in experiential work to gain first-hand knowledge of the depth and impact of expressive work integrated with play therapy.
- Date: September 24th, 2021
- Location: Elizabethtown Tourism & Convention Bureau; 1030 N Mulberry St, Elizabethtown, KY 42701
- Also available Live via Zoom
- Time: The training will run from 9:00 AM EST until 4:30 PM EST. Lunch will be 1 hour long. Please arrive between 8:00 AM EST and 8:45 AM EST to sign-in.
- APT Hours: 6 Contact Hours if attending in person; 6 Non-Contact Hours if attending via Zoom
- Cost: $150.00 for Standard Registration
- Lunch: We will have a buffet style lunch. Lunch is available for purchase at registration for an additional $10.00.
- Cancellation Policy can be viewed here.
- Continuing Education:
- APT Approved Provider #: 20-599
- Brighter Futures Counseling, PLLC has been approved by NBCC as an approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7035. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Brighter Futures Counseling, PLLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- 6 Continuing Education Hours are pending with the Kentucky Board of Marriage and Family Therapists, and the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology