Parenting Classes (Utilizing the Nurturing Parent Program)
- The Nurturing Parenting Programs are a family-centered initiative designed to build nurturing parenting skills. The long term goals are to prevent recidivism in families receiving social services, lower the rate of teenage pregnancies, reduce the rate of juvenile delinquency and alcohol abuse, and stop the intergenerational cycle of child abuse by teaching positive parenting behaviors.
- The programs feature activities to foster positive parenting skills and self-nurturing, home practice exercises, family nurturing time, and activities to promote positive brain development in children birth to 18 years. Lessons can be delivered in a group setting or one on one with the provider.
- Parents attend groups designed to:
- Build self-awareness
- Build Positive concept/self-esteem
- Build levels of empathy
- Teach alternatives to hitting and yelling
- Enhance family communication and awareness of needs
- Replace abusive behaviors with nurturing behaviors
- Promote healthy physical and emotional development
- Teach appropriate role and developmental expectations.
- Before beginning the program, each parent will participate in a mental health assessment including a parenting focused screening tool called the AAPI-2. The results from this assessment allow our provider to specifically target your parenting needs. (www.nurturingparenting.com)
**Learn More under our Evidenced Based Practices Section…